To get your own copy of the DNA Series, click on the image above to go to my web site...

Alex Douglas-Kane shares her experiences and understanding of Discover Nature Awareness


Wednesday 24 October 2012

Black Woodpecker


Back in the early seventies before conservation became a buzz word. While on exercise in Germany late one night we deployed into woodland with our Fire Direction Centre (FDC) which was an armoured fighting vehicle.



In the morning I realised we had parked right next to a tree which was directly under a Black Woodpeckers nest. I went into the command post and asked the officer in charge if we could move so as not to disturb the nest.

Back then as a young gunner to ask such a thing was really unheard of, however the officer in charge came out to take a look and he agreed we were too close, so we moved our vehicle. It’s nice to know that I needed no law to enforce my request, just the right approach.


No comments: