To get your own copy of the DNA Series, click on the image above to go to my web site...

Alex Douglas-Kane shares her experiences and understanding of Discover Nature Awareness


Sunday 22 February 2009

In Search of the Cuban Ivory-billed Woodpecker



Some years ago I was asked by my dutch friend Martian Lemmertick to do a drawing of this one of the biggest woodpeckers in the world.

He was off to Cuba to search for this bird which sadly he did not find, as far as I understand the last person to see it some years earlier was Dr Lester Shorts wife, (Dr Short who wrote the monograph on Woodpeckers of the World, did not see it himself).

Who knows maybe one day it will turn up again... Is that a good thing or a bad thing, sometimes it is best we do not find such rare birds etc as we tend to ruin things even with the best will in the world.

A good friend of mine (Richard) told me that he saw this picture on the front of a menu card in Woody's Restaurant in Corfu... nice compliment but I think Woody's owes me a couple of meals as he did not ask me if it was ok to use my picture.

No comments: