To get your own copy of the DNA Series, click on the image above to go to my web site...

Alex Douglas-Kane shares her experiences and understanding of Discover Nature Awareness


Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Pileated Woodpecker wins the day


Having just completed a sit-spot with everyone from the Bird Language in California, we were heading back to camp. 

As I was chatting with one of the group I heard a call coming from behind me and up high. I said to the person with me that sounds like a woodpecker as I turned and looked up sure enough there was a Pileated woodpecker flying overhead

There were around ten other people observing the woodpecker as well, and you could hear them saying wow as they stood looking up in amazement.

All week we talked about and seeing the Coopers hawk or the Great-horned owl, we spoke about the effects we might be having on the local Bob cat, we saw Coyotes and heard them in the distance and yet the Pileated Woodpecker in my view stole the show.

No comments: