To get your own copy of the DNA Series, click on the image above to go to my web site...

Alex Douglas-Kane shares her experiences and understanding of Discover Nature Awareness


Tuesday 1 June 2010

The Invisible Bird...

While out laying a trail for my tracking course to follow, As I entered into a small area of woodland I could hear a bird calling out, I tried to locate it and every time I stepped forward to locate it, its call came from behind me, when I stepped back a few paces its call was in front of me.

Where is it? I was having real trouble finding this mystery bird, I know from my years of birding that birds are very good at throwing their voices and yet I could not find this one, until.

I looked down and right beneath me there he was a young Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus) nestled into the undergrowth and within an inch of him was my track.

I was so thankful that I had not stepped on this little chap which was only 4-5 days old and its mother must have been relieved when I left the area, during this whole experience she was chatting quite anxiously in the background trying to draw my attention towards her, I guess in the hope of leading me away from her young.

No comments: